Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prayer -Daily Paradigm Shift

Wow, what a title - right into the deep end with this one...
well, this is a subject I've been thinking of for a while and will probably occupy much of my thought in the future - why do we pray? and why do Jews pray in such a set way???

When I was younger, I asked my father one time, why do we pray everyday using the same words? isn't it better to have a specific prayer for each day of the week? I was really bored with prayer and saw that people around me were not so elated as well... I didn't get a streight answer, or at least one that I remember which satisfied me.

over the years I pondered this point and the more I prayed the more I was connected to the process. I figured there are 2 aspects of prayer consciense and unconsciense.

There is a consciense part that helps you direct your thoughts, forces you to take action, physical action to thank God. thought is not enough, you have to GET OUT OF BED, get dressed , and SAY THE WORDS. It's very hard to be thankful, we have to minimize ourselves and control our ego. Prayer forces us to do that everyday.
the unconscience (some prefer subconscience) part of prayer is in the repitition. The world we live in is focused on us as individuals and what we do, It's a world of doing - of action. Prayer helps us connect to the world of being. It’s a daily paradigm shift; we repeat the words of faith and belief in connection to God every day. The familiarity makes for a reality in which we don't actually focus on the words and their meanings (sometimes!?!), but repeat them as mantras. Thank you God, You give water, you make me understand, and you give health and so on...

What’s the point in all this???

I think the point is clear; it's a mental health issue...
This world can be a heavy Burdon if we take on our own shoulders. When we make ourselves realize it's not all up to us to fix, the main responsibility is God's, all we have to do is contribute our part, not to the world, to God, we have much less pressure and are better equipped to take on the day.

This was a sliver of thought, I have to go on now and prepare myself to take on the day... to be continued

No comments: